How to Get an Occupational License in Texas
Has your Texas driver’s license been suspended or revoked? Do you still need to drive for work, school, or family purposes? An occupational license may be the answer.
What is an Occupational License?
An occupational license is a restricted driver’s license that allows you to drive in certain counties, during certain hours, for certain purposes. For example, if you work every day you may need a license to get to and from work. Occupational licenses may also be granted for school-related travel or for the performance of essential household and family duties.
How to Get an Occupational License
Unlike getting a regular Texas driver’s license, you don’t go through the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Occupational licenses are issued by judges in courts of law. To get one, you need to file a document called a petition for an occupational license. You will then submit it to the court for filing, and the court will schedule a hearing with the judge. During the hearing, the judge will review your petition and may ask questions regarding your case.
What Documents do You Need to Provide?
- Certificate of insurance/financial responsibility (form SR-22) – this is different than your regular insurance card. You will need to request it from your insurance company, but they are usually easy to get.
- A certified copy of your driving record – we can get this for you to get the petition moving forward.
- Certified copies – you will need certified copies of the petition and court order granting the license. These will serve as your temporary license while DPS processes the court order and issues your new occupational license.
How Much does an Occupational License Cost?
Filing fees vary in each court, so you will need to check with your local court. You will also be charged license reinstatement fees by Texas DPS.
Can I Hire a Lawyer for an Occupational License?
Yes! We can complete the process for you from filing the petition to attending the hearing. When you hire our law firm we will complete all of the necessary paperwork and attend the license hearing. You will not have to go to court.
What if You Get Caught Driving Without a License?
This can have serious repercussions such as :
– Getting arrested
– Having your car towed and impounded
– Getting charged with a crime
– Posting bond to get out of jail
How Can You Get an Occupational License?
If you would like to get started but you’re not sure if you’re eligible, you can check your driving record on the DPS License Eligibility System.
After finding out if you’re eligible, you’ll need to file a civil case (petition) with the court and take the steps mentioned above. If you would like to get this done as fast as possible, contact our office. In many cases, we can get you back on the road in a matter of days. Call us at (210) 404-4878 today.
Questions about occupational licenses?
Get Answers Now
GET your occupational license TODAY
Fill out the form to get started with your free occupational license consultation.