Slip & Fall Accidents
San Antonio & Laredo Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
There is at least one television program that, under the guise of entertainment, shows people falling. Some fall off of skateboards and bicycles. Many of the videos show people who slip on debris or liquid on the ground and fall on their tailbones or heads. Viewers laugh uproariously. The aftermath is not shown and there is never a scene that often occurs after such accidents; that of an ambulance arriving and rushing an injured person to the hospital.
Every year, more than 1 million people are treated in emergency rooms for injuries suffered in a slip and fall accident and 25,000 of them die. Hundreds are hospitalized due to the severity of their injuries. Twenty percent of all falls result in a serious injury, such as a broken bone or head injury.
Falls, in general, are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries. Many of these accidents happen in San Antonio & Laredo retail stores like grocery stores and big box stores, or on walkways that are poorly maintained.
TELL US WHAT HAPPENED
Examples of Slip and Fall Accidents
Shopping may seem like a safe activity. But, there are some things you need to be aware of. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents occur in retail and grocery stores. Examples include:
- Flooring in disrepair. Rugs may be frayed just enough to cause someone to trip. Other types of flooring may have defects that are not noticeable until someone trips on an edge and then falls.
- Water that pools on the floor when produce is sprayed.
- Condensation on the floor in the frozen food section.
- Advertising displays that tip over and block the aisles.
- Produce that is dropped on the floor.
- General debris left on the floor both inside and outside of the retail establishment.
Walking in parking lots and on sidewalks can also be dangerous. Pavement may be uneven. Debris, such as falling leaves and rocks and sticks may not be properly removed. These are all sources of slip and fall accidents.
Proving you tripped and fell and were injured is just the first step in proving your claim. There are other elements the law requires you to prove in order to hold the person or business liable for your damages.
Proving Liability for Your San Antonio Slip and Fall Accident
Retail stores are open to the public. They have a duty to keep their shoppers safe, including keeping their floors free from debris. If they are unable to promptly clean up or repair something that creates a dangerous condition, they have a duty to adequately and promptly warn customers about the condition.
This means that if you slipped and fell in a retail store, or on the walkway in front of it or the parking lot that serves it, you must prove the following:
- The owner or manager knew or should have known that there was a dangerous condition.
- The owner or manager failed to exercise reasonable care in correcting the condition or warning about it.
- The failure to correct the condition or warn about it was the cause of your fall.
- You incurred damages, such as lost wages and medical expenses, as a result of your fall.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, or someone you love died as a result of such an incident, contact San Antonio and Laredo slip and fall Lawyer Eric Ramos as soon as possible for a free consultation. You can also reach us at (210) 404-HURT.
The law requires you to bring your damages claim within a certain period of time after your accident. Do not let the time run out. If you are unable to come to us, we can arrange to come to you.
Fill out the form to get started with your free evaluation of your San Antonio or Laredo slip and fall case.