Car Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
If you’re feeling overwhelmed after a car accident, San Antonio car accident attorney at Eric Ramos Law can help. Let our team take the stress out of the equation while we fight to collect the compensation you deserve.
Speak with San Antonio Auto Accident Attorney You Can Trust
Do you need to hire a San Antonio car accident attorney? Can you handle the claim yourself without a lawyer? What are your legal rights? What happens if you wait too long? What if the insurance company for the other driver contacts you?
If you’re asking these questions after being injured in a car accident, you are not alone. Many people search online for “Car Accident Lawyer San Antonio” and pick any attorney from the results. While it might convenient to hire a car accident lawyer near you, it’s important to make sure you’re hiring the right attorney for your case.
While the insurance companies want you to believe that you just need to work with them to settle your car accident claim, the reality is that relying on the insurance company is usually the last thing you should do.
Why? Let’s look at the steps involved in recovering from a San Antonio, TX car wreck. If you have been seriously injured, you may need to:
- Seek immediate and ongoing medical attention
- Get your car repaired or replaced
- Get a rental car
- Make sure you are treated fairly at work
- Recover compensation for your outstanding medical and repair bills
- Recover compensation for your future medical costs and prescriptions
- Recover compensation for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other non-financial losses
Is the other driver’s insurance company obligated and willing to make sure you understand your rights and pay you the full amount of your losses? We can tell you from experience: The answer is a resounding, “No.”
Auto Accident Attorneys Get Better Results
Higher average settlement when represented by an lawyer
Hiring a car accident lawyer could have a major impact on how much compensation you recover. A study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC) reported that for specific auto-accident-related injuries, the average insurance payouts were 3.5 times higher for individuals who hired an attorney.1 It is worth noting that the IRC is a research organization created and funded by the insurance industry.
After your accident, it’s important to remember that the insurance adjuster’s goal is to settle your case for as little as possible. If you are not represented, the insurance company may offer you far less than the value of your claim. An attorney can help determine how much your car accident case is worth and when the insurance company adjuster knows your claim is being handled by a personal injury attorney, you are likely to receive a much higher settlement offer.
1. Insurance Research Council: Auto Injuries: Claiming Behavior and Its Impact on Insurance Costs
Auto Accident Frequently Asked Questions
Should I hire a lawyer for a car accident?
For minor accidents involving property damage only, you might get by just fine without a lawyer. However, if there is any injury involved, you should contact a lawyer ASAP.
The insurance companies will usually try to take advantage of your situation by getting you to agree to a settlement by phone before you’ve left the scene of the accident.
Contacting an auto accident attorney right away can help protect your rights and increase your settlement.
What is the average settlement for a car accident?
Settlement amounts vary widely based on several factors. Some studies show that the average settlement for a minor car accident is between $20,000 and $30,000. This is for collisions that usually involve injuries.
If your injury is more severe, your settlement may be higher but could be limited by available insurance coverage.
How do I choose an attorney after a car accident?
You should take the time to interview several San Antonio car accident lawyers near you. Ask them how many accident cases they have handled and how much of their practice is spent on auto accident cases.
Make sure the attorney has experience in litigation so he can take your case to court, if needed. Oftentimes, the threat of litigation is the only thing that makes insurance companies pay fair value.
How much do car accident lawyers charge?
We work on a contingent fee basis which means we don’t charge you anything unless we win.
Just like other contingent fee lawyers, our compensation is typically 33.33 percent or one-third of whatever we recover for our clients.
Since studies show that people represented by car accident lawyers receive average settlements of 3.5 times more than those without attorneys, hiring counsel is something you should seriously consider.
Who is the best car accident attorney in San Antonio, TX?
There are many great car accident attorneys in San Antonio. There really isn’t a “best” attorney, but you may find the best attorney for your particular situation.
Make sure you interview several San Antonio car accident lawyers and find one that you’re comfortable with and confident in.
We Fight For Maximum Compensation for Car Accident Victims Throughout Texas
From our main office in San Antonio and three satellite offices, we help accident victims and their families throughout the state. No matter where you’re located, we’ll have a car accident lawyer near you that can help you get on the path to physical, emotional, and financial recovery. After an accident, the insurance companies will not treat you fairly. Their profits are their top priority, and they are under no obligation to help you assert your legal rights. We have seen far too many cases where victims have dealt with the insurance companies on their own, only to find out later that they received far less than they deserved. We have seen the consequences of this first-hand, and we believe that victims deserve better than a shot in the dark.
If you or a loved on were injured in a car crash in San Antonio, Texas we encourage you to contact us promptly for a free consultation. We will deal with the insurance companies for you, and we will make sure you know exactly what your case is worth. We will not settle for less; and, if the insurance companies refuse to treat you fairly, San Antonio auto accident attorney Eric Ramos will not hesitate to take them to court.
What Types of Car Accident Cases Do We Handle?
- Rear-end collisions – This is the most common type of motor vehicle accident in San Antonio. Many drivers follow the car ahead of them too closely. Then, when that car suddenly decelerates, the rear driver rams into the car ahead of him or her causing a rear-end collision. There is a myth that the driver in the rear is always at fault. That is not true in every case and fault is determined by the circumstances of the event. The most common injury from this type of collision is whiplash that occurs when the body is suddenly thrown forward and then backward. Whiplash injuries often do not cause pain until a few days after the accident. They may heal quickly or cause lifelong problems.
- Side impact (T-bone accidents) – This is the second most common vehicle accident. T-bone accidents often result in serious injuries or death to the passengers who were in the car that was hit. When a car is hit in the side, there is very little protection for the passengers. At least in a rear-end collision, there is some space between a passenger and the car, as well as the bumper, trunk and seat to soften the impact. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that 24 percent of vehicle occupants involved in a T-bone accident were killed in 2017, the most recent year for which statistics are available.
- Head-on collisions – A head-on collision is the most serious. According to the IIHS, 56 percent of passengers in a car involved in a head-on collision were killed in 2017, the most recent year for which there are statistics.
Common causes of head-on collisions are:
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving.
- Distracted driving.
- Swerving to avoid debris in the road.
- Bad weather conditions.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted drivers cause hundreds of thousands of motor vehicle collisions in the United States each year. Texting, using social media, talking on the phone, setting GPS directions, grooming, eating, and drinking behind the wheel are all dangerous distractions, and it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration to cause a life-changing collision.
- Drowsy Driving – Being drowsy can cause driving impairments comparable to low-level alcohol intoxication. Driving without enough rest and spending too many consecutive hours on the road are both common factors in vehicle collisions. While many drowsy driving accidents occur in the early morning hours and late at night, fatigue should be considered as a possible factor any time a driver causes an avoidable crash.
- Drunk drivers – The Texas Department of Transportation (DOT) reports that every 20 minutes, someone in Texas is either killed or injured in a vehicle crash where alcohol is involved. Drivers in Texas are legally drunk if they have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 or higher. If alcohol is involved, a driver can still be impaired with a lower BAC. You can file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver for negligence even if the driver is not cited nor charged nor convicted of a DWI.
- Wrecks caused by tire defects – A tire defect or blowout can cause a driver to lose control of the car so the car spins off the road or into the path of another vehicle. When this happens, the tire manufacturer and the tire seller may both be held liable for the injuries or death that were caused by the defective product.
- Driverless vehicle accidents – If a driverless vehicle was at fault for the accident, a lawsuit may be filed against the manufacturer for product liability. To date, there have been a few such lawsuits, and the manufacturer has quickly settled them in proceedings that remain secret.
- Dangerous road conditions. When dangerous road conditions are at fault, either totally or partially, for a San Antonio car accident, the municipality charged with keeping the roads safe may be held liable for the damages. Some examples of dangerous road conditions are:
- Road signs that are either damaged, hidden by branches, or missing.
- Ruts in the road.
- Missing or lose guardrails.
- Lines in the road faded or missing completely so it is impossible to determine where the lanes.
- Road debris left unattended.
- Road not properly maintained during bad weather.
- Inadequate traffic control at construction sites.
The City of San Antonio may be held liable in addition to any other driver that may also be at fault for the accident.
- Guardrail lawsuits – People do not often think about a guardrail accident, but a defective guard rail can slice through a car that hits it and injure or kill the passengers. If this happens, a lawsuit can be filed against the City of San Antonio, Texas DPS, or the agency responsible for maintaining the guardrail, the contractors who installed the guardrail, and possibly the manufacture of the guardrail if it was defective and it was that defect that caused the injury.
- Reckless Driving – Tailgating, weaving through traffic, merging without signaling, and trying to “beat” a yellow light are all common examples of reckless driving that can lead to life-altering collisions. If reckless driving played a role in your accident, an experienced motor vehicle accident law firm can act quickly to collect the evidence needed to secure a maximum recovery.
- Speeding – According to Department of Transportation statistics, speed is a factor in nearly one-third of all fatal crashes, and it is to blame for tens of thousands of non-fatal car accidents across Texas each year. Speed limits exist for a reason; and, if a speeding driver is to blame for your losses, car accident attorney Eric Ramos can help you recover just compensation.
- Any Other Form of Driver Negligence – Numerous other forms of negligence, such as drunk driving, can cause and contribute to dangerous accidents as well. From failure to yield to failure to perform necessary maintenance, if someone else is at fault for your injuries or your loved one’s death, attorney Eric Ramos will take aggressive legal action to maximize your financial recovery
- Multi-vehicle accidents – These involve three or more cars. Drivers and passengers in these types of accidents are often severely injured. One vehicle may be hit multiple times. Those inside the vehicle may be trapped and unable to even exit the vehicle. There is danger of the cars catching on fire, which will likely result in fatalities. It is difficult to prove fault in these types of accidents, and there may be more than just one driver who is responsible.
- Crash with a semi-truck – Injuries to vehicle occupants can impact their lives forever. There is very little protection for those in a 3,000-pound car when it is hit by a fully loaded semi-truck weighing approximately 80,000 pounds! The truck driver and the company who hired the driver may both be held liable for the accident and victims can seek damages from both.
- Bus crashes – Injuries and fatalities are often severe. Not only are injuries sustained by the people in the vehicle that was hit, but passengers on the bus are also injured. The driver, the transit company, and/or the city may all be held liable and responsible for paying damages to the victims. We regularly handle VIA Bus cases in San Antonio and can guide you through your case.
Pedestrian accidents – San Antonio, Texas has a serious problem with pedestrian accidents. It ranks ninth as the most dangerous for pedestrians. Between January and June 2017, the most recent time for which statistics are available, 263 Texas pedestrians were killed.
Pedestrians have no protection from injury when hit by a car. Even a low-speed impact can result in serious injuries. Head and neck injuries are common as are broken bones.
Motorcycle and bicycle accidents – Like pedestrians, motorcycle and bicycle riders have very little that is protecting them from injuries if involved in a motorcycle accident and hit by a 3,000-pound car or an 80,000-pound big rig. Parties that may be responsible for these accidents may include:
- The driver of the vehicle who crashed into the cyclist.
- Any other driver, pedestrian, motorcycle or bicycle rider who may be at fault for causing the driver to hit the cyclist.
- The city if a road defect was at fault for the accident.
- Accidents with Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company –These are complicated lawsuits. There may be car accident claims against Uber or Lyft, the driver, or other drivers involved in the crash. Which insurance company is involved depends on whether the driver had his driver app on at the time of the accident.
- SUV Rollover Accidents – Due to the top-heavy construction of SUVs, they are more prone to roll over than other vehicles, especially in a T-bone accident. When it lands on the roof, the roof caves in. All of these actions can result in serious injury or death to the occupants. In addition to a negligence lawsuit against others who may have negligently caused the accident, there may also be a cause of action for a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer for failing to properly construct the vehicle, or failure to warn the purchaser of the dangerous risks of driving such a vehicle.
- Police car accidents – San Antonio police car accidents present a challenge when it comes to proving fault. Collecting for your damages may depend on whether the police officer had the siren on and lights flashing and was responding to an emergency call or just driving negligently. There have been cases where a police car was responding to an emergency, had the siren blaring and the lights flashing, but was going far too fast for the traffic conditions and was therefore liable for the damages resulting from an accident.
How to Choose the Best Car Accident Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
When you are losing wages, accumulating medical bills, and facing an uncertain future, you most likely know you need an attorney to help you, but are not sure how to go about finding one. Here are a few suggestions.
- Ask for recommendations from friends who have mentioned a legal problem to you. But, be careful. Some friends will eagerly suggest a law firm who has helped them, but if the attorney helped them with a real estate issue, tax problem, etc., that may not be the attorney for you. You are looking for a personal injury attorney who regularly handles car crash cases in San Antonio.
- Go the websites of car accident attorneys you are interested in. Get a feel for their practice areas and expertise. A good San Antonio car accident lawyer should be a wealth of knowledge for your case.
Almost all personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation. That is a time for the attorney to review your situation and evaluate your chances of success. This is also a time for you to ask the accident attorneys any questions you may have about his experience. Some relevant questions may be:
- What is your track record of success with cases like mine?
- Do you work on a contingency basis? Can you explain to me how this works?
- What do you mean by “damages?”
- Will my damages cover any long-term medical consequences and my loss if I am unable to return to work?
You want a San Antonio personal injury lawyer who is a good negotiator with insurance companies who will be ready to go to trial if negotiations are not successful. You also want a local law firm that will keep you in the loop, so you know what is happening with your case, and one who is available to answer your questions as the case proceeds. We handle motor vehicle accident cases out of our four offices throughout the Texas. We take car accident cases statewide.
What Our Clients Say
“I can’t say enough good things about this firm. Eric and his legal assistant Amanda were extremely helpful with my case. They explained the process in great detail at the beginning and I was kept informed about the status of my case every step of the way. If you’re looking for a great car accident lawyer, look no further than Eric Ramos Law. I highly recommend them.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!
We Handle Cases Involving
- Company vehicles and commercial trucks
- Drunk Driving (DUI & DWI)
- Rear-end accidents
- Rideshare companies (Uber and Lyft)
- Road defects and dangerous road conditions
- Rollover accidents
- Uninsured and underinsured drivers
- Distracted driving
- Vehicle defects and mechanical failures
- Accidents involving minor children
- Bicycle accidents
We Know What It Takes to Win Tough Auto Accident Cases
Car accidents cases are rarely as straightforward as they initially seem. Often, there are numerous factors involved, and securing just compensation requires an in-depth understanding of the various factual and legal issues at play. At Eric Ramos Law, PLLC, our San Antonio car accident lawyers have the resources and determination to win the tough cases – whether that means negotiating an insurance settlement or taking a major automotive manufacturer to trial.
Regardless of what happened or what factors you think may have been to blame – and even if you have no idea – we can help you every step of the way on your road to recovery.
Contact a San Antonio Car Accident Attorney at Eric Ramos Law, PLLC
When you are dealing with the pain, misery, and frustration of your injuries, or grieving over the loss of a loved one, you need the assistance of an experienced San Antonio accident lawyer. At the Law Office of Eric Ramos PLLC, you will find we have experience negotiating with insurers for the best possible settlement for our clients.
If a settlement is not in your best interest, we will zealously advocate for you at trial. The law requires you to file your lawsuit within a certain period of time after your injury. Do not let the deadline pass. Call us at (210) 404-4878 us to schedule your free consultation at our San Antonio office and to understand how we can help you obtain all the damages to which you are legally entitled.
Eric Ramos Law, PLLC
Personal Injury Lawyer San Antonio
7979 Broadway #207, San Antonio, TX, 78209,